Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Slow Cooker Pumpkin Taco Soup





Slow Cooker Pumpkin Taco Soup...
AKA: A Mystery Soup Popsicle

Believe it or not, I started this post way, way back in June!  I made this soup and ended up putting it in the freezer in individual portions.  Sometimes I get a little too carried away trying out new recipes.  The other day, it occurred to me that I should eat the soup in the freezer before making new soups so I thawed a portion of this soup and it's really good.  I wasn't exactly sure what kind of soup this was since I did not label it.  I could tell the soup contained shredded chicken but I thought the dark spots were black beans. Turns out the dark spots were cilantro!  The only thing the re-heated soup needed was a sprinkle of salt to sort of wake up the flavors.  I had another bowl of this soup just now and I added in a sprinkle of salt and a little dollop of plain Greek yogurt.  The soup is even better with the Greek yogurt swirled in!

******************** Here's the post I started back in June 2017 *************

The other day, I decided to cook a sweet potato for breakfast. It was good!  While I was waiting for the sweet potato to cook, cook, cook, away in the microwave oven, I threw this soup in the crock pot.  So easy.

SLOW COOKER PUMPKIN TACO SOUP
From www.onelovelylife.com
Recipe link: http://www.onelovelylife.com/pumpkin-taco-soup/

Ingredients
  • 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs
  • 1 (28oz) can (or two 14oz cans) fire-roasted tomatoes
  • 1 (14oz) can pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 2 ounces of hot diced jalapeno peppers from a can 
  • 1/2 teaspoon each paprika, oregano, and garlic powder
  • 1 tsp salt, or to taste
  • 4 cups vegetable broth (or you could use chicken broth/bone broth)
  • ¼ cup cilantro, roughly chopped, plus more to serve
Instructions
  1. Place everything (except the cilantro) in the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 7-8 hours. Shred the chicken into the soup and stir in the cilantro.  If desired, serve with extra cilantro to garnish and Greek yogurt or sour cream.

No comments: